– 6 full chicken legs (both drumstick and thigh) skin on. (you can you skinless thighs as well in which case use 12 thighs)
– salt and pepper
– olive oil
– 1 medium onion – chopped
– zest from 1 lemon
– 1-1 ½ cups coarsely chopped Fresh Oregano
– 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary.
– white wine
– coat the bottom of a large cast iron pot (dutch oven) with Olive oil, and bring up to temperature on high heat setting (Should splatter when you drop water in it).
– chop the chicken legs into quarters and rub with salt and pepper.
– put half of the chicken pieces in the hot oil and braise them until brown on all sides. (Do not cook through, should be only 1-2 min per side.)
– once brown on all sides, remove to a side dish and do the same for the second half of the chicken pieces, remove them as well once done.
– once complete there should be browned chicken on the bottom of the pan.
– lower to medium temperature and put in the chopped onion and garlic. Coat the onions and garlic in the remaining oil and stir as they cook. You want to sweat the onions and garlic not burn them.
– when the onions start to colour, add 1 cup of white wine and stir. Use the wine to de-glaze the pot and scrap off any browned chicken on the bottom.
– once de-glazed, add the chicken back in and the fresh oregano, lemon zest and rosemary.
– turn heat down to low, and cover. Let cook for at least 45 min, stirring from time to time.
– you can let this dish cook longer if you like.